3 Tips to Have a Better Functioning Garbage Disposal this Fall Season
One of the most important things in any Cartersville kitchen is the garbage disposal unit. When used correctly, this can be of great advantage in keeping the kitchen clean and reducing waste disposal bills. By following certain rules, it is possible for a unit to last for many years.
Advantages of a Garbage Disposal:
- Easily disposes of most raw garbage.
- Food liquefies and easily flows into the sewage system.
- Removes the problem of wet garbage attracting insects and/or rodents.
Garbage Disposal Don’ts:
- Don’t use hot water when disposing of food as it will often cause it to congeal and can clog up the unit.
- Don’t use strong drain cleaners when you have a plugged drain. This can not only damage the disposal itself but also damage the drain lines.
- Vegetable peelings should be fed slowly into your Cartersville disposal while running cold water. They will clog the drain if put in all at once.
- Never put things such as cornhusks, artichoke peels, bones, shrimp peels, potato rinds or grease of any kind into the disposal as it can cause it to become clogged and require a plumber to clear it.
- Never try to dispose of coffee grounds in a disposal as they can cause the drain to clog.
Garbage Disposal Do’s:
- Always use cold water before, during and after grinding food. This will flush both the disposal and drain and keep them clean.
- Grind ice and add occasionally to clean the inside of the unit. This will sharpen the blades and break up any grease build-up.
- Grinding peelings from citrus fruits will clean the garbage disposal naturally and create a pleasant odor. It will also discourage bacterial growth.
- If the unit develops an odor, a couple of things that will work are:
- Freeze vinegar in an ice tray and put the cubes in the unit. They sharpen blades and kill bacteria.
- Pour baking soda in the unit and let it set for a couple of hours before letting cold water run.
The only type of drain cleaner acceptable is Borax, which will clear up odor-causing mold and mildew. Bleach and other harsh cleaners will damage the disposal’s blades and drain pipes.
Time to get your Cartersville, GA home garbage disposal ready for the holiday season. Call Georgia Plumbing Experts at (770) 744-0210 today.